February 16, 2009

fabric mountain

February has been super busy, in that I'm doing so many things and so few all at the same time. I'm also paranoid that it's already over, being the shortest month and all, so it's the most deceptive. Some thoughts and recent happenings:
  • VERY EXCITING: My First Sponsor! A few weeks ago I wrote to the owner of this online-fabric-store requesting a donation of fabric or extra materials. I have been getting to know Angela, a past Elsewherian artist, and a current artist living in Northampton, and an employee at ReproDepot Fabrics. Julia at storefrontART encouraged me to just ask her for a donation, so I used my Professional Letter Writing Skills I have been extensively developing in the past 2 months, and just asked! And in return, I got to swim in the sea of....

    ...the room that houses all the kinda-old, maybe-moldy, probably-won't-be-sold fabric! I am really incredibly thankful and so excited to start using all these fabrics I was given. Awesome uniforms, badges, tents, stuffed animals, sleeping-bag-adornments...woahwoahwoah.
  • INSTALLATION-A-DAY: For the month of February I've taken on making one installation per day. I was inspired by an assignment in a class I almost decided to take, but I'm not. I'm documenting it (for now) on facebook, but here are a few of my favorites so far: organizing the refridgerator by color (this is the purple shelf) infiltrating Target and re-arranging the valentines day aisle throughout the store a valentines-making mess in my studio a sweater-fort hanging above my bed made of all the sweaters I've been wearing this winter.
  • GETTING GOING ALREADY (I'M STILL WAITING): I've been calling and writing and waiting to hear back about where (some ideas: barns, office spaces, storefronts, warehouses, old houses, basements, a tent-city) and when I can show my installation. I've been feeling really stopped, and in the meantime have been really busy, but I've been stuck on one level, not moving forward with my artwork or plans because I'm waiting to find a space, set a day, and go from there. But I realized that I can't wait any more because real-life time is so much slower than college-deadlines-and-graduate time. So while I'm going to start calling and searching people out tomorrow, in the mean time I'm not waiting anymore. I'm going to start with the parts that aren't attached to a specific place -- of which there are a lot more than I could think about when I was busy being overwhelmed by the whole project -- and just go go go. No more time for no-plans, only time for making and going and doing. Collaborators, I'm sorry I've left you hanging for so long! I'm ready and I hope you are too now.
  • (WEBSITE): (I have been working on making a professional website. Fortunately or not, this is turning into a huge learning activity. So the website is still pretty lame, and you can't see it yet. But I'm still very proud, so if you ask I'll probably show you anyways.)
  • BEEN BUSY WEARING ALL RED AND PURPLE...as usual I guess. I convinced Julia to join me for Valentine's Day!!
  • GOODNIGHT! ahh, I knew this would end up taking me a long time... oh well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that first picture was of your space in the art barn. I guess I haven't been for a while...
The next awesome artist skill you need to cultivate? Having an assistant to write professional letters FOR you.

Oh, and I said to read MY blog and comment. Not "write an incredibly long post on your blog." We need to get your hearing checked. Or maybe I need to add pictures so people will care...

Tab said...

All that cloth is super amazing. I'm thinking of going wild this summer and being all-cloth all the time. And I should e-mail you about participating in stuffed animal making so that everything is organized.